Kennewick Adds 3 Hour Delay as Snow Day Option
Before Mother Nature throws us another curve ball and makes a mess of school, get some important information from the Kennewick School District.
While these are directly from Kennewick, many other districts operate on similar procedures, make sure to check with your district.
You can receive texts, messages and other important information for your child when it comes to weather and other related issues. It starts with a trip to the PowerSchool for Parents portion of the KSD website. Often referred to as Powerschool, it's not only where you can oversee your child's academic progress, but now it's got features to get you any and all weather and other updates and information.
And, some important facts about delays and other weather related issues from KSD:
- Once decided, a 2-hour delay will not switch to a 3-hour delay. There is still the possibility it could change to a closure if conditions worsen.
- If school is delayed, buses will run on either a 2 or 3-hour delay as specified.
- Breakfast is canceled.
- AM ECEAP classes are canceled.
- AM Tri-Tech Skills Center classes are canceled.
- AM Keewaydin Discovery Center classes are canceled.
- High school zero-hour classes are canceled.
- K-8 Early Release Wednesdays: If a 3-hour delay occurs on a Wednesday, elementary and middle school early release is canceled and students only will get out at the regular time. A two-hour delay will still be an early release.
- 9-12 Early Release Wednesdays: If a 2 or 3-hour delay occurs on a high school early release Wednesday, the early release is canceled and high school students only will get out at the regular time.
In addition KSD will never send children home early due to snow or ice. They realize the difficulty this can create for parents and transportation. And, if school is closed, these standards will always apply for sports and after school activities:
- If school is closed, all out-of-district transportation, meetings, field trips, after-school activities, practices, and games will be canceled for the day unless otherwise announced.
- All evening meetings and events scheduled to take place in district facilities will also be canceled.