Big Kennewick Shed Fire Downs Power Line, Triggers 2nd Blaze, Cars Destroyed
No one was injured but the large shed is a total loss.
Kennewick police responded to a shed fire in the 900 block of East 23rd in Kennewick on Tuesday. Officials say a person welding inside was the likely cause, as some sparks or debris ignited materials.
During the efforts to extinguish the fire, spray paint cans stored inside the shed were exploding like 'grenades' said one witness, producing loud popping sounds.There were also gas cans inside, which also exploded even though some had only small amounts.
The fire however did cause a utility pole to collapse as the flames weakened it. This in turn caused a secondary fire about 200 feet away from the downed line, which burned two cars in the process.
It took crews about an hour to extinguish the fire.