Hanford Workers Taken to Hospital After Non-Radioactive Liquid Spill
Six workers were affected, but with apparently non-radioactive material.
The workers were in the 242-A Evaporator building, dismantling piping that had been previously drained and taken out of service some time ago.
DOE officials said some liquid spilled out when they began taking apart the pipes, getting on some of their skin and clothing. Several of the workers felt some discomfort in the areas where the liquid had come in contact with their skin, and all six were taken to Kadlec Regional Medical center in the 10:30am incident.
Tests have not yet conclusively determined what the liquid is, but it was determined NOT to be radioactive. The pipes were leftovers from the evaporation process facility that is used to periodically reduce the volume of the waste left over from Hanford's weapons program.