Search for Bodies of Victims from Oso Landslide Officially Ends
Officials say it’s difficult because two more victims who are unaccounted for still have not been recovered from the mud and debris.
EVERETT, Wash. (AP) — Authorities are ending the active search for bodies more than five weeks after the Washington state mudslide.
Snohomish County Sheriff Ty Trenary said Monday that it was a difficult decision because two people are still missing. So far, 41 victims have been recovered. He said 11 people were saved the day of the March 22 slide about an hour northeast of Seattle.
The painstaking search for the missing has involved hundreds of people and dogs who combed the debris field, at times digging with their hands.
County Executive John Lovick says a commission will independently review what happened before and after the slide.
Transportation officials say it could take up to three months to clear debris from the mile-long stretch of highway buried in the disaster.