What the Heck Is Pi Day?
In case you didn't know, Pi (π) is a mathematical symbol that is defined as the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter. But it is an irrational number, mathy-talk for a number with an unknown exact value, Pi being 3.14159265...and so on. Pi has appeared in many calculations other than circle related things such as things wave related. Humans have only calculated the number to the billions, but it's far quicker to use it in its casual value, 3.14.
Now why are we even talking about it? For Pi Day, of course! Pi Day is celebrated on March 14th around the world, according to piday.org. You might not find any parades nearby, but some fun ideas for the fundamental number include:
- Circle/pun foods like cookies, Pi zza, and Pi neapple
- Pi Clothing
- Wait until 1:59 PM (because 3.14159)
- Tell everyone
- Calculate Pi until you get tired
- Celebrate Albert Einstein's birthday that happens to be on Pi day
- Exercise for 3.14 miles (yeah right)
- Travel back in time and go down in history as the discoverer of Pi
- Get a temporary Pi tattoo
- And obviously you've been thinking about eating PIE!