Ashes Disposed of Near Woodpile, Nearly Burns Down Home
A Kennewick family escaped harm, and their home serious damage, thanks to a neighbor who spotted flames outside their home early Sunday morning.
Kennewick Police and Fire Crews say the family had removed ashes from their fireplace, and thinking they were out, placed them outside--but they were right next to a woodpile. They smoldered for sometime, then around 6:30am they set fire to the wood at the home near 16th Ave and Fruitland Streets.
The neighbor saw the flames climbing up and alerted the family. Fire crews were able to knock down the blaze before serious damage was done, the family will not be displaced. But Fire Crews emphasize make sure ashes are stirred and drowned in water before leaving them unattended. Feel them to make sure they're cold (After you've added water of course!)