Wednesday, a man and a 3-year-old child were lucky to be alive, after the child set fire to a mattress.

Benton County Sheriffs, Kennewick Fire units and Benton County Fire District 1 crews responded to the 206000 block of Bryson Brown Road, the fire was about 1.5 miles Southeast of the Benton County Fairgrounds.

Authorities say the child was playing with a lighter, and in doing so set fire to a mattress by accident. When crews were coming down the road, flames and smoke were already billowing from inside the unit, but the man and the child were able to get out unhurt.

The trailer is a total loss.

More From 870 AM KFLD