Exploding Light Bulb Triggers Security Alarm, Starts Fire
Benton County Deputies investigating a fire at a commercial building Finley now say the culprit was very different than expected.
November 5, Tuesday evening, Deputies responded to an intrusion alarm at the facility at 33000 S. Gerards Road, about 4-5 miles SE of Downtown Kennewick. Then there was a fire reported inside.
The next day, investigators learned the security alarm was tripped after a high pressure sodium light bulb exploded, the loud noise and vibration setting off the alarm. Sparks from the bulb then hit the floor, triggering the blaze. Damage was not extensive, but this bizarre non human caused event was confirmed when Deputies watched surveillance video from the time of the call.