According to Kennewick police reports, a metal fire burning pit that was not completely extinguished might have led to the blaze.

Kennewick police assisted fire units around 4:30am Wednesday morning for a structure fire at 204 E. 2nd.

Fortunately, no one was injured as police and fire crews were able to help get the family out safely, however as seen in the pictures, the home sustained extensive damage, especially from smoke.

A fire marshal investigation is expected Wednesday or Thursday.  No other details were released. The family told authorities a metal burning pit under or near the carport may have been the cause, they thought it was extinguished, but that has not been confirmed, pending the investigation.


More From 870 AM KFLD