The Benton Franklin Health Department ordered the Scootney Reservoir closed near Connell due to high levels of toxic algae in the reservoir.

The blue-green algae known as cyanobacteria can kill animals and it's highly advised to stay away from the reservoir until the levels go back to normal. The Health District strongly discourages swimming or wading in the water as it could be deadly to you and your pets.

According to a news report from our news partner KNDU, here are the symptoms if exposed to the algae.

Symptoms can appear in people in 30 minutes to 24 hours. They include jaundice, shock, abdominal pain, weakness, vomiting, severe thirst and a pulse that may be rapid or weak. Skin contact with the water can cause rashes.

The blue-green blooms appear periodically in the Scootney Reservoir and usually dissipates within a week after it appears. The reservoir is closed until further notice so be aware of this change and you can always check out daily site updates here

870 AM KFLD logo
Enter your number to get our free mobile app

READ ON: Here's how to apply for rent relief

More From 870 AM KFLD