Wood-Burning Stove Ignites Fire, Demolishes Home in Kennewick
Sunday evening, a family was displaced by a fire that completely consumed an East Kennewick Home.
Home on South Yew near Fairgrounds burns to the ground
Around 7:41 PM Benton County Sheriff's Deputies and Fire Crews rushed to a home at 6908 South Yew Street, just across Chemical Drive and northeast of the Benton County Fairgrounds.
Upon arrival, they found the home completely engulfed in flames. Two people inside were able to get out and went to the neighbor's home to call for help.
Those two people were taken to Kadlec for minor injuries after being treated at the scene.
Fire investigators say a wood-burning stove started the blaze.
Deputies didn't specifically say why the stove triggered the fire, but they remind people if they have such a stove, a fireplace-chimney, to have them regularly inspected and cleaned for safety--especially if the home depends upon them as a heat source.
The investigation continues, the home is likely a total loss.
TIPS: Here's how you can prepare for power outages