Monday night, a family escaped injury when their home caught fire north of Benton City.

Benton County Deputies and fire crews responded to the structure on Gust Road north of town, the home did sustain some significant damage, but the family was not there at the time.

Officials say house fires increase during the winter months because of increasing heating demands. Sometimes sparks from a fire, faulty wiring or other electrical/heating issues are the culprit. But most common are improperly used or powered space heaters.

Make sure if you do utilize an 'alternative' heating source, you're doing it correctly, and never leave any kind of burning in the fireplace unwatched.

More From 870 AM KFLD