Home where explosion occurred (Kennewick Fire Department)
Home where explosion occurred (Kennewick Fire Department)

Kennewick Fire Investigators have released an update about a fatal fire Monday evening.


Kennewick Fire Chief Chad Michael said in a news release:

"The Kennewick Fire Department would like to express its deepest sympathy and condolences to the friends and family members of our community member that lost her life in the residential fire that occurred yesterday at 228 N. Quincy St. We are deeply saddened by the loss."

He went on to say the 65-year-old woman, whose name has not yet been released, died apparently from an explosion that occurred related to what is called "pure" oxygen used for medical treatment.

Apparently, the woman was smoking too close to the oxygen source, which then exploded. This kind of oxygen burns much hotter and faster because of its purity, it triggered the small fire in the home that was put out by fire crews.

The explosion and fire burned a couch inside the home, according to sources.

870 AM KFLD logo
Get our free mobile app

The woman was found inside the home at 228 N. Quincy St,  just east of the Zintel Canyon Golf Course.  A roommate found her lying inside.

An autopsy has been scheduled, but it appears the explosion and/or fire and smoke killed the woman. From comments made by the Fire Chief, it appears she was smoking too close to the volatile oxygen.


KEEP READING: Scroll to see what the big headlines were the year you were born


More From 870 AM KFLD