See the Biggest Challenges Facing 2020 State Legislature
According to a variety of sources, including the Seattle Times, there will be plenty of topics to keep legislators busy during the new session in Olympia.
From just a few years ago, things have changed. Democrats hold majorities in the House and Senate, and this was seen last year with a slew of new taxation and controversial environmental programs that were pushed through.
Some of the biggest challenges facing legislators in 2020 include:
- Expect a slew of bills to be introduced to try to combat the growing homeless problem and make housing more affordable (however that may happen).
- Expect a new round of efforts by Gov. Inslee to push more environmental taxes (cap and trade?) on citizens.
- Will House Democrats become even more militant under new Speaker Laurie Jinkins of Tacoma. She is replacing Frank Chopp, who held the post for nearly 20 years.
- What will happen with I-976? It's under legal challenges after having been passed last November by voters. What legislation and fallout will come from this battle.
- Will there be a new round of anti-gun bills introduced by West Side Democrats?
Only time will tell as the session unfolds.