High Winds Plus Halloween Tiki Torch Equals Yard Fire
Kennewick fire crews quickly responded to a report of a 'yard fire' at a home in the 1000 block of South Zillah Court Halloween night.
Crews say a Tiki torch that was part of a Halloween display blew over, and set fire to the vegetation and shrubs lining the home's yard. Our still rather dry conditions led to the flames spreading rapidly, and the wind didn't help.
While quite a few bushes and other vegetation went up in smoke, the fire was kept from reaching the home or other structures.
High winds that developed Halloween night were the culprit in many displays being blown over, inflatables that wound up blocks away, and trick or treaters' having to hang on to their hats and costumes.