Two fires have severely damaged one of the buildings  at the Lakeside Apartments in Kennewick. (image courtesy of KNDU-TV).

 According to our news partner KNDU-TV,  a fire broke out Wednesday evening around 8:45pm, reportedly caused because of some burned wood from a fireplace that was not fully extinguished.   The wood had reportedly been placed on a porch.  After responding to that fire, Kennewick fire crews were called back around 3am to battle a second blaze that caused huge flames to shoot through the attic of the "I" building.

All told, some ten units were severely damaged by fire, water or smoke.  Some reports indicate that building is a total loss.  Fire crews had to battle gusty conditions to bring the flames under control.

The Lakeside Apartments are a distinctive community at the corner of Edison and Clearwater in Kennewick, known for their system of "lakes" or ponds of water between the apartment unit buildings.    Multiple fire units from around the Tri-Cities assisted Kennewick firefighters in bringing it under control, no one was hurt.