60-Plus MPH Wind Gusts Batter Tri-Cities, SE WA, and NE Oregon
According to the National Weather Service Pendleton, OR, just about everyone in SE WA and NE Oregon got severely windblown Monday night.
Gusts well over 60 MPH registered multiple locations
According to the NWS, the following locations registered one or more wind gusts over 60 MPH:
- Pasco Airport 68 MPH
- Benton City-West Richland (one of several reporting stations( 72 MPH
- Kennewick (near Highway 395 south) 68 MPH
- Burbank (near Nine Mile Hill) 62 MPH
- Walla Walla 59 MPH
- Hermiston 61 MPH
- Pendleton 59 MPH
- Beverly (north of Mattawa) 76 MPH
- Goldendale (along the Columbia River) 60 MPH
- George, Ephrata and Moses Lake all recorded gusts between 53-55 MPH
In addition, power was knocked out for thousands of Benton County customers, according to the Benton PUD and NBC Right Now, at one point nearly 50K people were without power for at least a short period of time. Lights flickered around the region as the gusts played havoc with power poles and power lines.
Get our free mobile app
Now that the system has largely passed, we will still see some breezy conditions but it's being replaced by colder north winds and a chance of snow for Eastern WA and Eastern Oregon, at least throguh Friday.
TIPS: Here's how you can prepare for power outages